Thursday, August 31, 2006

Random Thursday Ramblings

So I love how you can piss someone off and not even know it. Some people are so angry at the world they get pissed at something they think you are doing DELIBERATELY to them. Fuck off, grow up and quit whining. Ironic how people that say "The world doesn't revolve around you" are often the people who act that very way themselves...

J has been picking up a number of details. Well actually, one recurring detail, which is a nighttime only detail. He is already up all night, whether or not he's working, and so he'll tack on a few extra hours pre-shift. It's nice when that money comes in, DUH. Of course, the way it's contracted means it pays direct, which means come tax-time we are going to be HATING UNCLE SAM! The other thing that sucks is that I like to see him before I go to bed. Today he woke up at 5, and left the house at 8:30. Being an adult sucks. I know I've whined about missing him before, but that was a while ago so this is me doing it again.

The more details that come out about the Marcus Fiesel case just make me sick. Call me a bleeding heart liberal; I just don't want to hear the gory details of what the Carrolls did anymore. But I'm not so liberal that I don't believe they should FRY for what they did. Last night on the news they were shown in court in yellow jump-suits. Jim says to me "That means they're on suicide watch." And you know what? Good. It would be very disheartening to hear that they took the easy way out. They should have to live for a LONG time, CONSTANTLY being reminded of how heartless and evil they are. Now tell me I'm a hippie.... Hamilton County set their bond at 10 million dollars EACH. I think that's a new record for Cincinnati.

I don't necessarily consider myself Republican or Democratic. I am pretty liberal, which by default gets me accused of being Democratic. But being a cop's wife means I get many more details on these stories than the general public. And it brings out the base, seedy, all-too-human side of you. It brings out the animal, the carnal desire to set things right. In fact you don't see a lot of animals holding court on the African Savannah. They only kill what they need to eat, or feed their families. Humans murder. So the human response, and I think it is solely human, is for punishment, vengeance, JUSTICE.
Why is it wrong for us to act like God? Why are we created with a sense of acting on behalf of others? A sense of enacting justice? The rest of the animal kingdom doesn't NEED to be punished, because nature doesn't do things senselessly. Every action in nature serves a purpose. Human actions routinely defy reason. But we also have the wherewithal to recognize that justice isn't served on this plane of existence.

If you've read Gulliver's Travels, and it's been a LONG time since I have, but there's a group that Gulliver meets, and I think they're horses? I don't remember, but while he's living with them, he comes to realize they don't lie or deceive at all. He is dumbfounded by their faith in each other, and they are completely confounded by what it means to tell someone something that isn't true. Much as I suspect that animals, if they were possessed of the means to understand human nature, would be BEYOND confused by our actions.

Sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. Someone tell me we don't need the sheepdogs, or that we need to put leashes on the sheepdogs. I'll tell you where you can shove it.

No comments: