Sunday, August 06, 2006

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later

So Friday night, my friend Andrew calls to see if I want to go out. Hubby's working, so why not? I am driving tonight, so we hop in the jeep and head out. For the purposes of this story, it helps to know where places are in relation. So my house is point A, the bars are at point B, and Andrew's friend, Aaron, is located at point C. They are all located in a relatively straight line to each other, with points A and B being equidistant to points B and C. But for some reason Andrew told Aaron we'd pick him up, instead of him meeting us there (which would make the most sense, but whatever). So we get to his house, after many confusing directions, and he walks out of the house with a beer in his hand. I hit the locks. He says "I'll be out as soon as I finish this." Whew. So he walks out to the car, then walks back up to the house again, because he forgot his wallet. and keys. And is now locked out of the house. I should mention that Aaron is much younger than I am, and still lives at home. I believe he's still attending college. Why am I hanging out with someone that much younger? Again, I don't know. He's Andrew's friend. And I'm bored, and it's a Friday night.

So Aaron finally gets his wallet and keys, and hops in the car. We're all making fun of him for forgetting, and Andrew asks if anybody else does the 'check' before they leave the house. I said, "I always do the Money, I.D., Lipstick, Keys check. MILK." And as the words are coming out of my mouth, I realize I didn't do that check today. And walked right out the door without my ID.

Crap. Now for those of you that don't know me, I'm going to be honest here, I'm 26. And I've been blessed with good genes to the point that sometimes people don't even believe I'm 21. So there's no WAY I'm getting in any bar without it. Plus I'm now driving around without my license. Not sure about where you live, but in Ohio they pretty much frown on that. So off we go, all the way back to my house. I'm doing my usual routine, speeding down the freeway about 5 over, and I think, "this would be bad if I got pulled over, because I don't even have anything with me to prove my husband's a cop." Yeah, I'd use it to get out of a ticket. Lie to me and say you wouldn't.

We get all the way back to my city, which is where J used to work. So I know every single one of the officers here. I'm breathing a sigh of relief. There's no way I can get pulled over here, right? You see where this is going. Now I'm getting cocky, and I'm going almost 40 in a 25. Stupid, I know. It's getting near shift change so I'm counting on nobody being out. Wrong. Sure enough, the only officer on the force here who runs radar in a town that's a square mile, is sitting in the bank parking lot. And I'm one of the only cars out, since it's now 11:00 at night. He flies out of the lot after me, and I'm STILL being cocky about it! "Oh, he'll recognize my car and leave it. Or he'll run the plate and when it comes back to us, he'll leave it."

About a block from my house he flips his lights on. I already knew it was coming so I pull over immediately. Absolutely MORTIFIED. He takes his time running the plate and calling it in. Then he walks up to the car, where I'm rather sheepishly sitting, and for a moment, I almost swear he doesn't recognize me. This guy has brought his kids over to my house for trick or treating. I've watched the other guys put skull n crossbones hot sauce on his wings. I know his workout routine. I say "Hi Bill." He responds, "How's it going? I clocked you at 40."
"I know, I was going home to get my purse."
"well let's try to slow her down, OK?"
Nod.
"Have a good night."

Eek. That's the first time I've EVER been pulled over. J's now telling me not to worry about it, Bill pulls everybody over, it's not a big deal, etc. My point of view? I should have known better. And I'm an asshole for going 40 in a 25. Eek. I guess I'm lucky it was in my city, right?

No comments: