Friday, July 14, 2006

The ups and downs of summer

Well my birthday was two weeks ago...considering it's been a month since I updated I guess that's not really a surprise. Lots of birthdays have been occurring. It was fairly good; we had a fire in the pit, Scott, Alison, Andrew, Justin, and my mom all came over. We went out after that, and boogied down. It was good. Then my mom got super-emotional from the alcohol at the end of the night and was crying about being pregnant with me at 21 so she couldn't drink, and why don't people like her, etc. I get that people do that when they drink, sometimes, but it was a lot to deal with. And it got in the way of J's amorous intentions that night, too. The following night we went out again, but this time she wasn't in a sad mood. She was easily pissed off, and the night ended with her yelling at some random guy. Yikes.
On the plus side, it's been two weeks since my birthday and I haven't lost any friends! Of course, when you don't have many friends it's statistically easier to not lose them but....it's a good start to this year of my life.
Earlier this year, a police officer was shot in the face here in Cincinnati. The shooter was sentenced earlier this week, to 33 years in prison with no possibility of early release for good behavior. That's a relief, at least. She survived only because his gun malfunctioned when he tried to shoot her again. I cannot tell you how relieved I am that she survived, and how angry this makes me. She was shot because she was doing her job, and because she represented something this young man didn't like. You don't get that with many professions.
Another officer in Cincinnati was shot this week, but fortunately his vest saved him. He was shot in the abdomen when he tried to talk to a guy who was LITTERING! Honestly, pick the damn can up and throw it away, it's definitely not worth someone's life over it! I don't think J knows how much this shit scares me sometimes. I'm glad he works in an area of town where he doesn't get flipped off on a daily basis. I worry a little less. When he worked closer to the center of Cincinnati, well, let's just say this isn't a very police friendly city. At least they're doing something about the second shooter.
Finally signed up for my 401k yesterday. Why did I wait so long to do it? I'll tell you why, because you need a damn 40 hour course on learning what the hell you're actually getting into, that's why. 'Nuff said.

Well, it's a Friday night. I get my mom's two dogs on Sunday, since she and Cate are jetting off to NYC to dance. so I think I'm gonna go out....J had to work til noon today, he slept 8 hours and then woke up to go straight back to work at 9. Fun.

Oh, on another side note, I'm debating opening a myspace. Why? Because Ask Rocco has one, and Cate has one, and Nicole has one, and a couple businesses around town have one....and EVERYBODY'S DOING IT!
*nah*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your mom.

Tell her to come visit me.