Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Bad way to begin summer

Well I haven't updated in a while because I've been busy. Busy with what? Well, J's grandmother wasn't doing so well, so we were visiting there a lot. She passed away on June 4th. We used to go over almost every Thursday and do grocery shopping for her and Aunt Edna, and then go to dinner. It was really really sad, but she went very peacefully, and all her grandchildren got to come see her before she died. It was about as good as it gets.

I was talking to my mom, who recently decided she didn't need the security system on her house, when I realized I could share with you another cop perspective. J will go on a rant every time one of the Brinks home security commercials comes on. They show a woman in her house, doing dishes, and a man kicks in the door. The alarm company calls IMMEDIATELY, to send someone out. Now, there's a whole separate reality to this. First of all, they don't call you IMMEDIATELY. The alarm has to go off for a full minute or something, whatever the allowance is if you accidentally set it off yourself. Then they call you, and they have to wait for you to answer and give them the code, or ask for assistance, or for you to *not* answer. Then they have to call the proper authorities. So in other words, if your alarm goes off, it's going to be probably 10 - 15 minutes before someone is on their way to your house. If someone's breaking in, they'll most likely be gone before the police get there. If your house is on fire, the firemen may get there in time to save the entire place from burning down, or from catching the neighbor's house on fire. But don't let the commercials fool you into thinking that the cops are going to show up a minute after the alarm goes off. Sure, they're a good thing to have, and it's a damn sight better than nobody showing up at ALL. But be realistic.

I had something else to update about but for the life of me I can't remember it. I am sick right now, with what J is calling a summer cold. My throat is sore, my glands are swollen, and my entire body feels raw and bruised. My sinuses aren't feeling too hot either. So while the weather is still gorgeous here in OH and not the nasty August sweltering heat we get, I am stuck inside in bed or on the couch.

Sort of on the baby-kick thing again. I think it has something to do with wanting another person in our life to love. I am really into families now. Sure, my family's pretty messed up. But Jim's family is so warm and loving and, I don't know, just the way you think family should be. They love you, shortcomings and all. And we can't get enough of Emma and Catie. So I think that's a pretty good reason for me and Jim to want a baby. Nevermind that I think I will be one of those darned cute pregnant girls. :) We'll see. In another month or so I could realize we can't afford a baby, and maybe I ought to go back to school, and on and on. But you live life in the NOW, right?

No comments: