Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Great Blackout

Well Ike sent a little 'gift' toward Ohio. We got walloped with a windstorm on Sunday. Subsequently knocked out power to most of the tri-state area. J and the deputies were forced onto 12 hour shifts and a 'gas emergency' for a few shifts, meaning they had to park somewhere and not drive til they got a call.

I appreciate conserving the gas, but really...in a blackout situation, don't you anticipate lootings? What better way to catch people in the act than by driving around?

Fortunately that didn't last long. The power was out at our house for three whole days. We are lucky that we live near his parents and could stay there.

In other news, I'm slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that our only true friends are cops or military families. Even *I* am starting to just mistrust people who aren't. Doesn't make much sense to me.

1 comment:

tired.dispatcher said...

I just wanted to comment on your comment of "In other news, I'm slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that our only true friends are cops or military families. Even *I* am starting to just mistrust people who aren't."

I have been married to a police officer for 28 years. Have been a dispatcher before and during our marriage. We have a large circle of friends who are in the same line of work. And that can be very dangerous. Because it can narrow your life view way too much.

When my husband was going through the police academy they had a special two hour program for wives and girlfriends. To introduce the life of being married and involved with a police officer. One point they made that has stuck with me 30+ years later is the necessity, the necessity, of having a circle of friends who are NOT law enforcement. Otherwise you take the fear and reality of losing touch with the world around you and truly open yourself up to more problems.

Let me offer you a suggestion from someone who has been there/done that. Join a service organization and get involved. You will meet people who are wonderful and really care about the community around them. You will meet lots of different people who have nothing to do with law enforcement or military and open your eyes to a whole new way of thinking and believing and trusting.

I am very very involved with my local Lions Club. Because of that work and exposure I ended up starting my own non-profit that is now international and in several states through out the US. I love being able to give back. It reminds me not all the world is ugly and not trust worthy.

Last words of advice (something I try to live by): If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.